The Customer Support Engineer’s role is to support and maintain customer computer systems, desktops, network devices, server infrastructure, and peripherals. That includes installing, diagnosing, repairing, maintaining, and upgrading all customer hardware and equipment while ensuring optimal device performance. The person will also troubleshoot problem areas (in person, by telephone, or via support ticket) in a timely and accurate fashion, and provide end-user assistance where required.
Strategy & Planning:
• Support development and implementation of new computer projects and new hardware installations.
• Assist in developing long-term strategies and capacity planning for meeting future hardware and customer hardware needs.
Acquisition & Deployment:
• Conduct research on, and make recommendations for, hardware products in support of procurement and development efforts.
• Perform on-site analysis, diagnosis, and resolution of complex desktop problems for end users, and recommend and implement corrective solutions, including off-site repair for remote users as needed.
• Install, configure, test, maintain, monitor, and troubleshoot end user, server and network hardware, peripheral devices, printing/scanning devices, presentation equipment, software, and other products in order to deliver required service levels.
• Construct, install, and test customized configurations based on various platforms and operating systems.
• Collaborate with Technology team members to ensure efficient operation of the organization’s desktop computing environment.
• Where required, administer and resolve issues with associated end-user workstation network software products.
• Receive and respond to incoming calls and/or support requests regarding desktop/server/network related problems.
• Ensure that desktop connections, i.e. network jacks are in proper working order.
• Prepare tests and applications for monitoring desktop/server/network performance, then provide performance statistics and reports.
• If necessary, liaise with third-party support and PC equipment vendors.
• Perform related duties consistent with the scope and intent of the position.
• Complete technical summary notes on monthly Network Oversight Reports.
• Write and keep all site and related documents up to date.
Formal Education & Certification:
• High School diploma or equivalent,
• Industry-specific certifications/diploma may be required,
o A+/N+, MCP, MCSE and MCITP, Networking qualifications or equivalent e.g. CCNP
o Bachelor of Science or Computing
• Minimum 3 years work experience in related field.
Knowledge & Experience:
• Excellent knowledge of PC/desktop, server and network hardware.
• Excellent knowledge of PC, server and network internal components.
• Hands-on hardware troubleshooting experience.
• Extensive equipment support experience.
• Extensive experience and technical knowledge of current protocols, operating systems, and standards.
• Ability to operate tools, components, and peripheral accessories.
• Able to read and understand technical manuals, procedural documentation and OEM guides.
• Knowledge and experience working with MSP solutions advantageous.
• Time-management skills and the ability to establish reasonable and attainable deadlines for resolution.
• Knowledge and experience working with network devices such as routers, AP’s, switches and firewalls.
• Own reliable transport and valid RSA driver’s license required.
• Strong customer service orientation.
• Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
• Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
• Good written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills.
• Ability to conduct research into PC/Server/Network/Software issues and products as required.
• Ability to present ideas in business-friendly and user-friendly language.
• Highly self-motivated and directed.
• Keen attention to detail.
• Team-oriented and skilled in working within a collaborative environment.
• Sitting, standing, or walking for extended periods of time.
• Climbing a ladder or working on equipment above your head.
• Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, power tools, and other computer components.
• Lifting and transporting of moderately heavy objects, such as computers and peripherals.
• In-district travel is required for the purpose of on-site hardware and software troubleshooting and repair.
This position reports to the Services Manager
Submit applications to email@example.comCustomer Support Engineer